My mom is the guest of this not-very-christmassy christmas episode. We talk about Sailor Moon vs. She-Rah, Godzilla, Starman, and strong female characters.
- "Christmas Time is Here" - Noah sings from A Charlie Brown Christmas, and is flat.
- Mokona! bu bu bu bu! (from Magic Knight Rayearth
- Yes, we have Erin's mom as a guest -- just like they do on The Greatest Movie EVER! Podcast where Paul convinced his mom to watch Akira.
- Erin's mom thinks Akira might be Yu-Gi-Oh! or Inuyasha, but it isn't.
- Erin's mom was also very unlucky and watched the last disk of Berserk.
- We slogged our way through the most recent episode of Shippuden!
- We also watched the most recent episode of Avatar!
- Erin's mom watched Power Rangers!
- Is Avatar the best American Cartoon ever?
- What about The Simpsons Erin's mom doubts there are Avatar action figures, and yet here they are! Some even squirt water! But you know what? You *can't* get a Toph action figure!
- Appa, the flying buffalo from Avatar, is not Abba, the Swedish pop group.
- However, Appa is a little like the Nekobus from Totoro.
- Erin was more obsessed with the Simpsons when she was younger. Then she started watching Sailor Moon
- Erin points out that anime and manga are not genres, but rather media, and contain many genre and subgenre (not the least of which being the cooking genre, with titles like Iron Wok Jan, Yakitate ! Japan
- Erin also watched She-ra (Noah admits to watching He-Man
- Noah thinks Magical Princess Minky-Momo is the apotheosis of frilly, girly anime. (If you don't know the series, think Otaku no Video's Misty May
- Has there ever been a magical-girl spin-off from a shonen series? Arale from Dr. Slump makes an appearance in Dragonball, but that's all we could think of
- Sexual revolution in Japan
- Erin's mom didn't like Speed Racer. She preferred Rocky and Bulwinkle. She also never saw Astroboy.
- However -- she did watch plenty of Godzilla movies and other Tokusatsu shows. We later finally figured out that the one she was talking about is called Starman.
- Her favorites were the ones with Ghidora and Mothra. Didn't like Mechagodzilla very much, though.
- Gamera is ok too. Baby Godzilla creeps her out, though... and that little kid.
- We watched Gamera 2006 (Gamera the Brave) recently.
Are Godzilla films science fiction?